Type to search


Did the University of Washington Football Player Tylin Rogers Play While Under Investigation?

Share -

Image Credit: Sports Illustrated

An 18-year-old University of Washington football player, Tylin “Tybo” Rogers, has been arrested and charged with second-degree and third-degree rape following allegations involving two separate incidents in Seattle. Court documents reveal that Rogers played in two College Football Playoff games for the school even after the university became aware of at least one of the allegations.

Seattle police arrested Rogers on Friday and subsequently booked him into King County Jail. The charges against him were formally filed on Tuesday, with bail set at $150,000 for each case. According to court records, Rogers has been released on bond, although it is unclear at this time if he has retained legal representation.

The allegations against Rogers date back to incidents in 2023. One case involves a Seattle Central Community College student who reported being raped in October 2023 after meeting Rogers through the Tinder dating app. Court documents suggest that the assault occurred during a visit to her apartment in the Capitol Hill neighborhood. The victim reported the incident to police on October 28, and a sexual assault kit was completed at Harborview Medical Center.

In a separate incident the following month, a 22-year-old University of Washington student reported being raped in the University District. According to police, the victim had met Rogers at a Halloween party before connecting with him on Tinder. They arranged to meet at her apartment, where Rogers allegedly assaulted her forcefully, even using his hand to strangle her.

The university responded to these allegations by suspending Rogers from all team activities pending further investigation. Despite this suspension, Rogers played in multiple high-profile football games, including the Pac-12 Championship Game and two College Football Playoff games.

Court documents indicate that Rogers did not travel with the team for the Pac-12 Championship Game against the Oregon Ducks on December 1, after being suspended from team activities in late November. However, he later returned to team practices by mid-December and went on to participate in the College Football Playoff games.

During the College Football Playoff, Rogers contributed to the team’s success by recording carries and yards in both games. He rushed for 19 yards in the semifinal victory over the Texas Longhorns and two yards in the National Championship Game against the Michigan Wolverines.

The university’s handling of Rogers’ involvement in these games has raised questions about its response to the allegations and the transparency of its decision-making process. Emails within the University of Washington athletic department confirm that Rogers should have been removed from the team’s travel roster for the Pac-12 Championship Game, although no specific reasons were provided at the time.

Following the recent charges, University of Washington’s head coach Jedd Fisch stated that Rogers had been suspended indefinitely as soon as the allegations came to light. Fisch emphasized that he was not aware of the prior suspension or the reasons behind it, reiterating that his focus is on addressing the current situation.

As the legal proceedings unfold, the case involving Tylin Rogers underscores the complexities of balancing athletic participation with serious allegations, prompting scrutiny of university protocols and responses to such sensitive matters.

This story was originally featured on AP News

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *