PM Modi to Launch RAPIDX: India’s First Regional Rapid Rail Service
In an exciting development, India’s first regional rapid rail project, RAPIDX, is all set to make its debut, offering passengers a new level of comfort and convenience. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate this groundbreaking project in Sahibabad on 20th Oct, marking the beginning of the 17-km priority section of the extensive 82-km Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut corridor.
This priority section comprises five stations: Sahibabad, Ghaziabad, Guldhar, Duhai, and Duhai Depot, covering a distance of 17 km. Commuters will now have the option to travel using paper QR code-based journey tickets, National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) cards, and digital QR code-based tickets, all of which can be obtained through the NCRTC’s mobile app, ‘RAPIDX Connect.’
To enhance the passenger experience, electronic public displays at station platforms will provide real-time information about the expected arrival time of the next train.
Here are some key features of the RAPIDX train service:
- Each RAPIDX train will include a premium coach equipped with amenities such as reclining seats, coat hooks, magazine holders, and footrests. Access to this coach will be available through a premium lounge on the platform.
- For the safety and security of commuters, a dedicated train attendant will be present on every RAPIDX train.
- The RAPIDX service designates one coach exclusively for women, which will be located next to the premium coach.
- To ensure accessibility for differently-abled individuals, a specific area for wheelchairs and stretchers has been designated in the last coach.
- Stations will be equipped with diaper-changing stations in the women’s washroom to accommodate passengers traveling with young children.
Additionally, the RAPIDX system has established a Lost & Found Centre, where lost items can be retrieved within 24 hours. For the priority section, the Lost & Found Centre is situated at the Ghaziabad RAPIDX Station and operates from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
To bolster security measures, Artificial Intelligence (AI)–enabled Door Frame Metal Detectors (DFMDs) will be employed for the screening of commuters at stations.
Furthermore, the National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC), responsible for implementing the Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) project across the National Capital Region (NCR), has joined forces with two mobility operators. These operators will provide para transit-based feeder services using electric auto rickshaws from RRTS stations. As demand grows, they will deploy larger vehicles as required.
The mobility partners have outlined tentative routes from each of the priority section stations, extending approximately 9 km. These routes will encompass urban areas like Raj Nagar Extension, Jagriti Vihar, and GDA Colony, as well as rural communities including Bikanpur, Milak Chakarpur, Shahpur Nij Morta, Basantpur Senthali, and Atour Nagla.
The inauguration of the RAPIDX train project marks a significant milestone in India’s efforts to enhance its transportation infrastructure and provide a more comfortable and efficient mode of travel for commuters in the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut corridor. Stay tuned for further updates on this exciting development.